The problem of protecting corporate data is not new, and it means that there are ways to improve the situation. One of them is using Virtual Data Room for secure business operations.
Digital Data Room for protecting corporate information
Information security is one of the most pressing issues of our digital age. Modern information security systems must meet the demands of modern business in an increasing number of information security threats emanating from the corporate network itself. Modern security systems should not protect individual elements of the network, but the information in the form of information resources and flows, regardless of the place and time of their occurrence.
To ensure reliable protection of corporate data resources the most advanced and promising information security technologies must be implemented in the information security system. One of such technologies is Virtual Data Room. In modern conditions, the establishment of detailed rules for the use of electronic document management, as well as the procedure for electronic documents is an extremely important element of internal regulations of the company. A proven method of regulating the process of access to company information, which is important, is the formalization of the procedure and method of access to it. All these issues may be resolved by using the Data Room service.
The main threats at the corporate level are:
- use of another person’s access rights;
- unauthorized modification or copying of data;
- change (replacement) of software;
- ill-considered methods and procedures that allow the mixing of confidential and ordinary data in one document or storage location;
- connection to cable networks without taking protection measures;
- introduction of incorrect data by cybercriminals;
- creation of “loopholes” in the system;
- theft of information, software, and equipment;
- failure of protection systems;
- providing access to classified data to third parties;
- data destruction as a result of disconnection of overvoltage in the power supply network;
- computer virus infections.
Principles of data protection in the Data Room
The entire data protection procedure is based on confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility. Confidentiality belongs to the so-called hidden function of factual data or information and is one of the strictest requirements of information security. In the case of cloud computing, data is stored in data centers, where data security and privacy are even more important. The integrity of the data in any form does not play a significant role in guaranteeing unauthorized deletion, alteration, or damage. Data availability means that users can use the data by exploiting the potential of cloud technologies.
Data Room multi-sided protection model
Data Room providers allow users to create a user-friendly portal that provides secure access to the corporate network, e-mail, and web applications. A certificate-based authentication system and smart device negotiation mechanism ensure that individual users only have access to a specific set of applications – just as if they were at their work computer. With this comprehensive approach, network administrators can centrally set security and application access policies, and end-users can quickly and securely access the network without the need for multiple authorizations.
The advantages of the Data Room security system are:
- operation in passive mode with a copy of traffic (SPAN) does not affect the operation of databases;
- control of local accesses to the server using agent software;
- does not exceed the peak load of 5% for local customer requests;
- blocking of unwanted actions of database users is carried out in the active mode due to the firewall;
- scanning and testing for vulnerabilities to detect unblocked accounts, uninstalled patches, accounts with simple passwords, the activity of system accounts of other applications, attacks the selection of accounts or table names.